Pool and spa safety checklist
Use this checklist to see whether your pool or spa has been installed in accordance with electrical safety standards. In case of doubt, ask Hydro-Québec to check it for compliance.
Everyday safety tips
Water and electricity are a deadly combination!
- To be safe, have a master electrician do all the electrical work on your pool.
- Make sure you have a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlet on the wall of the house facing the pool.
- Make sure the filtration system’s power cord is in good condition.
- Make sure the plug’s round grounding prong is straight.
- Make sure you’re the pool or spa’s electrical lighting system meets current standards.
- Long-handled pool accessories—even wooden ones—can lead to severe electric shock if they’re used too close to power lines. Opt for a leaf skimmer with a nonconducting fibreglass handle. It could save your life!