Hydro-Québec has begun building the new Langlois–Vaudreuil-Soulanges line. The work will be carried out Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., from February to October 2017.
Growing demand for electricity
The population of the regional county municipality (MRC) of Vaudreuil-Soulanges has grown significantly in the last decade. Between 2001 and 2014, the number of residents in the MRC increased by 43%. Combined with industrial and commercial development, this population growth has led to a more than 50% increase in the region’s electricity consumption and has overloaded the power system.
A major project for the region
To respond to this significant growth in demand, Hydro-Québec must build a new 120-kV transmission line and rebuild part of the line that will be dismantled in the MRC of Vaudreuil-Soulanges. From this new line, Hydro-Québec will also build a line segment to supply the new Ericsson facility in Vaudreuil-Dorion’s industrial area.
The work involves the following:
- Clearing the right-of-way of the new line between Les Cèdres and Dorion substations
- Clearing within the boundaries of the existing right-of-way for reconstruction of the line between Dorion and Vaudreuil-Soulanges substations
- Construction of access roads
- Dismantling the line on wooden H-frames between Dorion and Vaudreuil-Soulanges substations
- Laying of foundations (excavation, filling and levelling)
- Tower assembly and conductor unwinding
- Site restoration
Learn more about the different steps in building a power transmission line. The steps are presented in chronological order, though certain steps are sometimes carried out simultaneously.