Targeted solutions for electric utilities
Hydro-Québec offers innovative technology solutions for optimal electric utility asset management. As such, it commercializes technologies and expertise in robotics for the inspection and maintenance of assets such as power transmission and distribution lines, transformer substations, hydroelectric generation turbines and submerged civil engineering structures.
Innovations based on 20 years of specialized robotics research
Hydro-Québec is supported by a team of 40 robotics experts of its research institute, IREQ. These researchers, engineers and technicians pool their expertise in mechanics, computing and electronics to develop solutions for assets such as:
- Transmission lines
- Transformer substations
- Overhead and underground distribution lines
- Hydraulic turbines and embedded components
- Underwater structures
Helping you create value
Hydro-Québec is committed to creating value for your electricity generation, transmission or distribution company by optimizing your asset management so as to maintain equipment reliability, as well as continuity and quality of service.
Like all electric utilities around the world, your company is subject to increasingly strict requirements and ever-more complex operating constraints. Our leading-edge technological solutions will help you improve the efficiency of your operations and maintenance activities. This will make you better equipped to respond to new requirements and growing customer and shareholder expectations.
Our solutions offer tangible benefits:
- Increased productivity compared to other inspection and intervention methods
- Reduced asset downtime
- Non-destructive in situ evaluation methods
- Precise and detailed data to support maintenance decisions
- Reduced costs through deferred capital spending
- Prioritization of asset maintenance projects
- Extended equipment service life
- Risk mitigation and improved asset stability and reliability
- Enhanced worker health and safety
Who are our customers?
Since the delivery of electricity everywhere is subject to the same reliability, availability, long-term operability, safety and profitability constraints, Hydro-Québec serves customers around the world.
Who are our customers?
- Owners and operators of large hydroelectric generating and power transmission and distribution facilities
- Large equipment manufacturers in the electricity sector
- Inspection and maintenance service providers serving the electricity sector
How can we do business together?
Hydro-Québec offers different business models based on specific customer needs:
- Technology and commercialization licencing
- Product sales
- Product development in partnership or by contract
- Pilot projects
- Technology transfer