All of Hydro-Québec’s data on vegetation control planning required to keep the medium-voltage distribution lines clear. This work is necessary to ensure the safety of the system and the quality of the electricity service. Over 100,000 km of distribution lines must be kept clear on a cyclical basis, at the rate of about 17,000 km a year. The schedule may change at any time without prior notice, according to the weather and other conditions.
Files or services
The Shapefile format is used in geomatics and can contain up to four different additional files. It is a shapefile, i.e., a group of files with the same name, but a different extension.
To open the file, Esri tools or a software program such as Google Earth or QGIS.
This type of file can be opened with an Internet browser or a simple text editer. However, it is generally read using software such as Google Earth or QGIS.
Useful URLs for the developers:
Useful information for interpreting the data
The data come from the planning schedules of the vegetation control work on Hydro‑Québec’s distribution network.
- The database collects information from an Excel file on the areas of the distribution system to be cleared and from a digital file on the history of the vegetation areas.
- No geometric measurements can be taken using this data (estimated average precision).
Description of labels
The files can contain text data (e.g., Montréal), numerical data (e.g., 2021‑05‑21) or geometric data (e.g., 46°48'44’’). They are organized based on labels, which correspond to categories. The labels and their descriptions are provided below.
- FID (numerical): Unique identifier
- Shape (geometric): List of geographic coordinates (longitude and latitude, geodetic coordinate reference system WGS84)
- poste_lign (text): Circuit identifier
- vprd (text): Acronyms referring to Hydro‑Québec’s distribution territory (LS: Laurentides, MAT: Matapédia, MTL: Montréal, MY: Montmorency, RU: Richelieu)
- travaux (text): Description of work (pruning, clearing, felling)
- annee (text): Year of the planned work (2021, 2022)
- saison (text): Scheduled work period (1: January to June, 2: July to December)
- hq_version (text): Date on which planning data is processed
- Editor/Author: Hydro‑Québec
- Update frequency: every two years
- Language: French
- Geographic coverage: Province of Québec, except Alma, Amos, Baie‑Comeau, Coaticook, Joliette, Magog, Saguenay, Sherbrooke and Westmount (municipal systems), the territory served by the Coopérative régionale d’électricité de Saint‑Jean‑Baptiste‑de‑Rouville (cooperative system) as well as regions supplied by off-grid systems.
- Temporal coverage: 2021-2022
- Last modified on: 2021-07-26
- Initial distribution: 2017-12-18
- Licence : Creative Commons CC‑BY 4.0
- Notices and conditions of use: The vegetation control work is carried out on a cyclical basis. The schedule may change at any time without prior notice, according to the weather and other conditions.