To benefit from complementary expertise while sharing both resources and risks, Hydro-Québec has adopted a partnership approach to innovation, collaborating with universities, public research agencies and industrial firms. Examples:
- Contributions to universities
Hydro-Québec supports Québec universities in the form of research contracts and funding for research chairs.
- Collaboration with Ouranos consortium
A collaboration on regional climatology and adaptation to climate change, which involves predicting the effect this change will have on electricity demand and hydropower generation in Québec over the coming decades.
- Partnerships with public and private research players inside and outside Québec
Hydro-Québec is now involved in about 100 alliances, which provide it with real benefits while giving exposure to Québec expertise. Examples:
- With Alstom and Rio Tinto Alcan, the company is developing a robot that can perform a range of maintenance and repair jobs on hydropower station turbines and gates.
- With TAG Corporation (India), Hydro-Québec entered into an agreement to market the spacer-damper system developed in its laboratories.
- With Consolidated Edison (U.S.A.), the company is running a demonstration program for technology designed to test the insulation of low-voltage underground cables.
- With the GCE Group (Russia), Hydro-Québec signed a framework agreement under which energy efficiency innovation projects will be conducted for small, medium and large industry.