Visit the Urgence Québec Web site, maintained by the Québec government.
Safety guidelines for flood victims
Before water gets into the basement
Cut the current to the whole house to prevent any risk of electric shock or fire.
- First make sure you aren’t standing on a wet floor or leaning on anything made of metal.
- Use a dry stick to flip the main breaker off.
Call your municipal emergency response service to find out what’s happening.
If water has started coming into the basement
Don’t touch anything! Call Hydro-Québec right away at 1-800-790-2424 to have service to the meter or pole cut.
When the water goes down
Guidelines for restoring power safely
If service was interrupted by Hydro-Québec, only a master electrician can make the request to have service restored.
Only exception: If the property was not flooded, Hydro-Québec can perform an on-site check before restoring power. Call the dedicated line to make such a request: 1-888-385-7252, option 1.
- If service was not interrupted but there was water infiltration in the home, consult a master electrician (in French only) before restoring power. The electrician will be able to asses the condition of your electrical installation and carry out any required repairs.
Also, don’t forget:
- Make sure the water is safe to drink and that your sanitary appliances are in good condition.
- Throw away any food that has been in contact with the floodwaters.
- Clean and disinfect any flooded rooms.
- If water infiltrated the oil lines for your heating system, have your furnace and oil tank checked by a specialist. Corrosion may have damaged the burner or safety devices.
Here are the measures we’re taking to help our customers who have been affected by this spring’s exceptionally severe floods.
- A dedicated phone line is available to assist you with any questions you may have for Hydro-Québec: 1 888 385-7252, option 1.
- Special arrangements will be offered if you believe you may experience difficulty paying your bills in the coming months.
- Fixed charges will not be billed for the period when electrical service is interrupted.
- Hydro-Québec will not charge any fees to restore power once your electrical installations have been declared safe by a master electrician (in French only).
- We will not issue any bills to affected customers during the period when electrical service is interrupted or, at your request, for 30 days. Administration charges will be suspended for 30 days for any amounts owing.
These measures automatically apply to you if Hydro-Québec has interrupted your electrical service in recent days due to safety concerns.
Residential customers and small- and medium-sized business customers who have been affected by the flooding but whose electrical service has not been interrupted may also benefit from these measures.