Welcome to Hydro-Québec’s main Web site (www.hydroquebec.com), as well as its specialized sites (www.hydroquebec.com/our-sites/) and its mobile application (hereinafter referred to collectively as the “Digital Platforms”), which Hydro-Québec owns and administers.
- The main site contains information regarding services for residential and business customers, electrical safety, and Hydro-Québec as a company.
- The specialized sites are designed for specific groups (job seekers, master electricians, teachers, etc.) and provide more detailed information on subjects such as transportation electrification or Hydro-Québec’s construction projects.
- The mobile application contains several services and features related to planned service interruptions, account management, the power outage information service, the My Consumption Profile tool and Online Billing.
Use of Digital Platforms
Users are strictly forbidden from carrying out the following actions, whether directly or indirectly, in any way whatsoever:
- Using the Digital Platforms or the content found therein for commercial purposes without Hydro-Québec’s prior consent;
- Using the Digital Platforms for illegal purposes;
- Causing IT disruptions or decoding the Digital Platforms;
- Jeopardizing the security of the Digital Platforms.
Any discussions or interactions carried out via the Digital Platforms must be respectful with regard to Hydro-Québec’s employees and to other users. Hydro-Québec cannot be held responsible for the offences committed by users of its Digital Platforms. In addition to the rules outlined on the Netiquette page, the restrictions listed below shall apply to all users. It is strictly prohibited for users to:
- Harass Hydro-Québec employees or other users;
- Impersonate someone (username and password) in order to use the Digital Platforms;
- Send messages or documents that are abusive, defamatory, threatening or obscene;
- Infringe on someone’s privacy or tarnish their reputation.
Limitation of liability
Liability regarding content and features
The Digital Platforms, including content and features, are provided “as is”. Hydro-Québec shall take reasonable measures to keep them up to date. However, errors, omissions and inaccuracies may occur. Hydro-Québec assumes no responsibility in this regard.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, it is understood that Hydro-Québec cannot guarantee that:
- content is accurate, current or complete;
- Digital Platforms are compatible with users’ IT devices or systems;
- use of the Digital Platforms is safe and free of interruption, delays or omissions, or that users’ computer systems are protected from data loss, malfunction, viruses or other damage;
- Digital Platforms comply with users’ needs and expectations.
To use the Digital Platforms, you may be asked to equip your IT devices and systems with security devices or software, at your expense.
Hydro-Québec shall not be held liable for any damage or inconvenience resulting from the use of the Digital Platforms or in the event they are unavailable or inaccessible for any reason whatsoever.
Liability regarding hyperlinks
The Digital Platforms contain hyperlinks to Web sites administered by third parties. The content of those sites, the links contained therein, the modifications made to those sites and the products and services provided on the sites are in no way approved, monitored or authorized by Hydro-Québec. Hydro-Québec cannot be held liable for:
- the accuracy of the content, products or services that appear on third-party sites;
- the presence of unauthorized hyperlinks on its Digital Platforms;
- compatibility issues between third-party sites and your IT devices and systems;
- contamination by computer viruses caused by using third-party sites or inadequate data protection on those sites.
Hydro-Québec may modify, add or delete the hyperlinks appearing on its Digital Platforms at any time.
Liability regarding power outage information Web page
The details provided on the power outage information Web page are approximate. Hydro-Québec cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information. It is the users’ responsibility to protect their property.
Under no circumstances shall Hydro-Québec be held liable for any use of, or inability to use, the information on the maps or in the Service interruptions reported by region report.
While Hydro-Québec updates the information regarding outages and planned service interruptions identified on the maps and in the Service interruptions reported by region report, it cannot guarantee the accuracy or the content of this information, including when service is expected to be restored.
Certain outage areas may not be listed on the maps. The areas identified on the maps and the time when service is expected to be restored are approximate, as is the rest of the information (cause, number of customers without power, etc.).
The Service interruptions reported by region report indicates the number of customers without power in each region of the province. This report includes power outages and planned service interruptions currently under way. Unlike a power outage, which is unplanned, a planned service interruption is an intentional interruption of service for a set period of time for system maintenance purposes.
All persons must take the necessary steps to mitigate damage that may be caused by a planned service interruption or a power outage.
Liability regarding the Customer Space
The information presented in the Customer Space is intended for general information purposes only and does not constitute your billing information. If there are differences between the information in your Customer Space and that shown on your bill, the information on your bill shall prevail. Should you have any questions, please contact a Hydro-Québec customer services representative.
Hydro-Québec’s name and logo are Hydro-Québec trademarks. Unless otherwise specifically indicated, all Digital Platform content is also Hydro-Québec property, including all texts, RSS feeds, designs, graphs, images, illustrations and videos, and is protected by copyright law. If you wish to use, copy, translate, publish or distribute such content, you must obtain Hydro-Québec’s prior written authorization.
When you publish content on the Digital Platforms or fill in a Hydro-Québec form, you are authorizing the company to use and distribute the content in question, at no cost and for any purpose, with the exclusion of any personal information.
Registration and password
For certain features of the Digital Platforms, such as access to information and personal transactions, users will be required to create an account with a username and password. If you wish to create an account in order to use such features, you will need to provide accurate information and ensure that it remains current at all times given that, as a user, you are legally bound by the information you provide.
You must ensure that your username, your password and any other personal information used to identify you and required when using Hydro-Québec’s Digital Platforms be kept confidential. If you share this information with another person, you will be held responsible for any transactions that person carries out in your account or in connection with your account. If you fail to fulfill your responsibilities outlined herein, Hydro-Québec cannot be held responsible for any damage resulting from said violations.
Confidentiality and Protection of Personal Information
Hydro-Québec is governed by the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information (CQLR c A-2.1). As a result, the organization is required to take appropriate steps to protect the personal information it collects, including information obtained through its Web site www.hydroquebec.com and through your Customer Space. Hydro-Québec may not use the personal information it collects except for the purposes specified or in accordance with applicable legislation.
However, it does not apply to third-party Web sites, and in particular to sites that can be accessed by hyperlinks on the www.hydroquebec.com Web site.
Communications with Hydro-Québec, chat service and e-mail
Hydro-Québec offers several ways for you to contact us in a secure way, for example, through a customer relations centre or online services.
If you contact Hydro-Québec by e-mail, you are doing so voluntarily. You must provide your name and e-mail address, and write your message in the electronic form available on the Contact us page. You can also contact Hydro-Québec through Facebook Messenger.
Since communication by e-mail is not fully secure, we recommend that you not provide additional personal information in your messages when contacting Hydro-Québec using either of these methods.
However, correspondence transmitted through your Customer Space, the information it contains, as well as information exchanged during a chat session are secure.
Personal Information Collected
If you wish to receive electricity service from Hydro-Québec, you must have a contract. The conditions that apply to the account and the information needed to create it are set out in the Conditions of Service.
To use Hydro-Québec’s personalized online services such as your Customer Space, you must provide certain information that will be used to identify you. Without this information, we cannot offer these services.
Automatic data exchange
To ensure that all browsing functions on all Hydro-Québec Web sites are fully functional, your computer and the sites’ servers exchange certain technical data. This data is fragmented and cannot be used to identify you.
Cookies are small text files that are downloaded and saved in the memory of the device you are using to view certain pages on a Web site.
Cookies are used for:
- updating and optimizing our Web sites to adapt to your browsing habits and needs, and
- preventing ads from being shown to you more than once.
Hydro-Québec and its service providers use Google Analytics to analyze how Hydro-Québec sites are used, in order to compile statistics and to improve the Web sites. Cookies are used to collect the following data:
- your IP address
- your Internet service provider
- your browsing session date and start and end times
- your browser language
- your region or municipality, determined through your IP address
- your browser type and version
- your operating system type and version
- your device type and model (phone, tablet or computer)
- the domain of the previous site you visited
- the address of the pages you visited on the Hydro-Québec Web sites
- your activity (e.g., clicking, scrolling) on the Hydro-Québec Web sites
- the point of entry (banner, e-mail, social network, print publication, advertiser’s Web site) to your visit
- your customer type (e.g., individual, group, organization)
- your customer category (e.g., residential, commercial)
- the Web services to which you subscribe (e.g., Online Billing, Equalized Payments Plan)
- your account type (single or multiple contracts)
- the screen resolution on your device
Hydro-Québec and its service providers may also use this data to develop, improve or commercialize its products and services.
This data is collected and stored by Google on servers that may be located outside of Canada. However, this information is not shared with external parties, except in limited circumstances, such as for enforcing a law or allowing a third party to perform tasks on behalf of Google (e.g., billing or data storage).
If you wish, you can prevent Google from collecting data on your use of Hydro-Québec Web sites.
Download the browser add-on to disable Google Analytics.
Use of personal information
Hydro-Québec will collect only the personal information it needs to carry out its business activities, provide a service concerning the supply of electricity, run a contest or promotion, provide a subscription to an e-newsletter or when you submit a comment or question, for example, to:
- offer you our products and services,
- manage your Customer Space and your accounts on our Web sites,
- convey information that is of interest to you,
- carry out marketing studies, analyses and activities,
- run contests or conduct surveys, and
- reply to your questions and comments, including those provided through our chat service.
Persons authorized to access your personal information
Subject to certain information used by Google Analytics, your personal information can be accessed only by Hydro-Québec staff, agents or suppliers who require it to carry out their functions.
Disclosure of personal information to a third party
Hydro-Québec will not disclose your personal information to third parties unless so required by law, pursuant to a legal obligation or if ordered by a court of law, or when having a contract performed by a third party. In the latter case, your personal information will be protected by confidentiality clauses.
Retention and destruction
With the exception of information used by Google Analytics, the information that Hydro-Québec collects under this policy is retained and destroyed in accordance with Hydro-Québec’s document retention schedule. Hydro-Québec uses appropriate technical methods to protect the personal information it destroys.
Consulting your file and correction
Under the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information (CQLR c A-2.1), you have the right to consult your file and, under certain conditions, request that it be corrected if the personal information it contains is inaccurate, incomplete or equivocal, or if the collection, release or keeping of the information is not authorized by this law.
To obtain your file or to request a correction, you may contact the person responsible for the application of the Act at Hydro-Québec:
Stella Leney, Vice President – Corporate Affairs and Secretary General
Telephone : 514 289-3737
Fax : 514 289-4530
75, boul. René-Lévesque Ouest
Montréal (Québec) H2Z 1A4
Secure Web communications and navigation
When navigating the Web, your browser detects secure connections and displays a PADLOCK on your Web page to indicate a secure session.
We use the most secure encryption protocol on the market. All data usage when browsing is protected by effective cryptographic mechanisms that guarantee the confidentiality of your information.