Use of personal information
In order to enjoy Hydro-Québec's personal Online Services, you have to supply some identifying information. Without such information, we cannot provide the services.
Any personal information that Hydro-Québec collects through its Web site in the course of doing business, including providing services related to supplying electricity, running a contest or a promotion, providing a subscription to an e-newsletter or allowing you to submit comments or questions, will be used solely by authorized staff for the purposes for which it is collected.
All personal information will be handled in a confidential manner in compliance with the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information (R.S.Q., c. A-2.1). Access to your file will be restricted to duly authorized staff.
You are responsible for keeping your access code, password and secret answer confidential.
Disclosure of personal information to a third party
Hydro-Québec will not disclose your personal information unless so required by law or ordered by a court of law, or when having a contract performed by a third party, in which case, confidentiality clauses will ensure the protection of your personal information.
Automatic data exchange
To ensure that all browsing functions on all Hydro-Québec Web sites are fully functional, your computer and the sites server exchange certain technical data. This data is fragmented and cannot be used to identify you.
Cookies are small text files that are downloaded and saved in the memory of the device you are using to view certain pages on a Web site.
Cookies are used for:
- updating and optimizing our Web sites to adapt to your browsing habits and needs
- preventing ads from being shown to you more than once
Hydro-Québec and its service providers use Google Analytics to analyze how Hydro-Québec sites are used, in order to compile statistics and to improve the Web sites. Cookies are used to collect the following data:
- your IP address
- your Internet service provider
- your browsing session date and start and end times
- your browser language
- your region or municipality, determined through your IP address
- your browser type and version
- your operating system type and version
- your device type and model (phone, tablet or computer)
- the domain of the previous site you visited
- the address of the pages you visited on Hydro-Québec Web sites
- your activity (e.g., clicking, scrolling) on Hydro-Québec Web sites
- the point of entry (banner, e-mail, social network, print publication, advertiser’s Web site) to your visit
- your customer type (e.g., individual, group, organization)
- your customer category (e.g., residential, commercial)
- the Web services to which you subscribe (e.g., Online Billing, Equalized Payments Plan)
- your account type (single or multiple contracts)
- the screen resolution on your device
Hydro-Québec and its service providers may also use this data to develop, improve or commercialize its products and services.
This data is collected and stored by Google on servers that may be located outside of Canada. However, this information is not shared with external parties, except in limited circumstances, such as for enforcing a law or allowing a third party to perform tasks on behalf of Google (e.g., billing or data storage).
If you wish, you can prevent Google from collecting data on your use of Hydro-Québec Web sites.Download the browser add-on to disable Google Analytics.
Obtaining your file
Under the Act respecting Access to documents held by public bodies and the Protection of personal information (R.S.Q., c. A-2.1), you have the right to obtain your file and request that it be corrected if the personal information it contains is inaccurate, incomplete or equivocal, or if the collection, release or keeping of the information is not authorized by law.
Secure Web communications
When navigating the Web, your browser detects secure connections and displays a PADLOCK on your Web page to indicate a secure session.
We use the most secure encryption protocol on the market to ensure the security of online transactions. All data usage when browsing is protected by cryptographic mechanisms that guarantee the confidentiality of your information.