Hydro-Québec publishes an Electricity Supply Plan that addresses the needs of the electricity grid as well as those of off-grid systems, i.e., communities unconnected to the integrated system (for example, Inuit village networks currently supplied by oil-powered thermal plants).
Published every three years, the plan covers the next ten years. It sets out the expected electricity requirements of Hydro-Québec’s customer base, taking into account energy efficiency measures implemented as well as the means the division intends to apply to ensure the security of Québec’s power supply.
The plan is reviewed annually by the Régie de l’énergie.
Electricity supply plan for the integrated system
To meet Québec’s power demand, Hydro-Québec Production must supply Hydro-Québec Distribution with 165 TWh of electricity per year. This electricity is known as the “heritage pool.”
Should the demand exceed 165 TWh, Hydro-Québec Distribution must enter into supply contracts by conducting calls for tenders among interested power suppliers.
Furthermore, as of the early 2000s, the Québec government has ordered Hydro-Québec to implement purchase programs for electricity from the following sources: wind power, biomass and small hydro.
Electricity Supply Plan for Off-Grid Systems
To reduce both Hydro-Québec’s supply costs and its environmental footprint, the Distributor seeks to convert, either totally or partially, all off-grid systems to other energy sources.
To achieve this, the company has set up a new business process that entails launching requests for proposals. The aim is to solicit the market for solutions that are less costly than the current mode of production. The new process was presented in the framework of Hydro-Québec’s Strategic Plan 2016–2020.
To choose the appropriate technology, the bidding process takes into account the opportunities and characteristics associated with each system as well as the needs of each community.
Power demand by hour in remote communities
- Aupaluk (2013-2015) [XLSX 489 Kb – in French only]
- Inukjuak (2013-2015) [XLSX 618 Kb – in French only]
- Ivujivik (2013-2015) [XLSX 587 Kb – in French only]
- Kangiqsualujjuaq (2013-2015) [XLSX 552 Kb – in French only]
- Kangirsuk (2013-2015) [XLSX 624 Kb – in French only]
- Kuujjuaq (2013-2015) [XLSX 507 Kb – in French only]
- Kuujjuarapik (2013-2015) [XLSX 625 Kb – in French only]
- Puvirnituq (2013-2015) [XLSX 604 Kb – in French only]
- Quaqtaq (2013-2015) [XLSX 579 Kb – in French only]
- Salluit (2013-2015) [XLSX 631 Kb – in French only]
- Umiujaq (2013-2015) [XLSX 618 Kb – in French only]
- IDLM (2013-2017) [XLS 4 Mb – in French only]
- Port-Menier (2016-2018) [XLSX 1 Mo – in French only]