The guided tours available at Hydro-Québec facilities, dams and other sites stimulate regional tourism. In some regions, our facility tour constitutes a must-see attraction. We welcomed 134,733 visitors from across Québec in 2016.
The Électrium: an electricity interpretation centre fêtes its 25th
In 2016, the Électrium celebrated its 25th anniversary. The centre has welcomed over 550,000 visitors since opening in 1991. To underscore the event, we offered science initiation workshops for children aged 6 and up every Monday throughout the summer.
Free of charge, the Électrium aims to demystify electricity, introduce youngsters to science and give families a chance to learn while having fun. Guides take visitors on a voyage of discovery, aided by playful interactive models, video capsules and various objects.
Activities in 2016
- 17,921 student visits, primarily to the Électrium and the Beauharnois and Shawinigan-2 generating stations
- 134,687 visitors, mostly at the following facilities:
- Cité de l'énergie and Shawinigan-2 generating station (Mauricie): 75,786 visitors
- Électrium (Montérégie): 18,400 visitors
- Beauharnois generating station (Montérégie): 9,720 visitors
- Manic-5 generating station/Daniel-Johnson dam (Côte-Nord): 7,530 visitors
- Jean-Lesage generating station, the former Manic-2 (Côte-Nord): 5,199 visitors
- The Daniel-Johnson Dam/Manic-5 Generating Station interpretation centre was given an upgrade. The exhibition Manic-5: A Captivating Story, which opened in June, includes 18 new objects from the Hydro-Québec Historical Collection.
- A new exhibition entitled Au travail à la centrale was added to the Shawinigan-2 generating station.
- A new interpretation centre opened at the Beauharnois generating station. The new building includes a restored terrazzo room with a fleur-de-lys from a nearby former service building. It also features a new interactive map of the Beauharnois-Salaberry regional park.