All of Hydro‑Québec’s data on the breakdown of the sources of electricity generated in Québec according to their real or estimated power in megawatts (MW). The data is updated hourly and corresponds to the output of both Hydro‑Québec’s generating stations and those of other electricity suppliers that have an electricity supply contract with Hydro‑Québec.Visit the Québec hydropower: clean, renewable and low in GHG emissions page for an example of how this dataset is used.
Useful information for interpreting the data
Electricity generation data is sent hourly, on the half hour, that is, at 8:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., etc. However, there is always a certain delay:
- Data related to thermal sources is sent 360 minutes later.
- Data related to hydropower, wind and solar power, other renewables and all sources is sent 90 minutes later.
Hydroelectricity: Sum of the remotely measured output from all of Hydro‑Québec’s generating stations and the generating stations of other electricity suppliers that have a supply contract with Hydro‑Québec.
Wind power: Sum of the remotely measured output from facilities belonging to independent power producers from whom Hydro‑Québec purchases all output.
Solar power: Sum of the remotely measured output from Hydro‑Québec’s solar farms.
Other renewables: Sum of the estimated output from facilities belonging to independent power producers using different sources (biomass, biogas or hydropower), from whom Hydro‑Québec can purchase some or all of the output.
Thermal power: The remotely measured output from Bécancour thermal generating station.
Description of labels
The files can contain text data (e.g., Montréal), numerical data (e.g., 2021‑05‑21) or geometric data (e.g., 46°48'44’’). They are organized based on specific labels, which correspond to categories. The labels and their descriptions are provided below.
- date (numerical): date and time the measurement was taken
- total (numerical): total output in megawatts (MW)
- hydraulique (numerical): hydroelectric output in megawatts (MW)
- eolien (numerical): wind output in megawatts (MW)
- autres (numerical): output in megawatts (MW) from facilities belonging to independent power producers using different renewable sources
- solaire (numerical): solar output in megawatts (MW)
- Editor/Author: Hydro‑Québec
- Update frequency: Hourly
- Language: French
- Geographic coverage: Province of Québec, except regions supplied by off-grid systems
- Temporal coverage: Daily
- Initial distribution: 2021-05-01
- Licence: Creative Commons CC‑BY‑NC 4.0
- Notices and conditions of use: The information provided represents raw data, comes without a guarantee of quality and is subject to change without notice.