Hydro-Québec plans to install a link consisting of two subsea cables extending approximately 225 km to connect the archipelago to Gaspésie between Cap-aux-Meules substation and Percé substation, in Val-d’Espoir. Commissioning is planned for 2025.
The project also includes the construction of two underground transmission lines between the subsea cables and existing systems:
- A line extending 8–20 km between the Gaspésie coast and Percé substation
- A line extending some 8 km between the Gaspésie coast and Cap-aux-Meules substation
- The cables will have an 80-MW capacity.
Finally the project calls for the addition of two converters:
- One at Percé substation, to convert the alternating current into direct current, and
- Another at Cap-aux-Meules, to convert the direct current back into alternating current