Proposed line route
Environmental and technical studies
Before coming up with a line route, Hydro-Québec conducted detailed technical and environmental surveys. This process helped pinpoint sensitive areas and identify issues that could arise with the construction of a transmission line.
Proposed line route
Pairing with an existing line
Nearly three-quarters of the route, namely 75 km, takes advantage of an existing corridor between Appalaches substation and Mégantic substation. This segment of the line route crosses a total of nine municipalities between Saint-Adrien-d’Irlande and Nantes.
Pairing the lines has a number of advantages:
- It protects the integrity of the territory given that a new line corridor does not need to be built on what is mainly private land.
- It reduces the area that needs to be cleared for the new line, which lessens the project’s environmental impacts and property use.
For technical reasons, in this portion of the path, the new line will have to be located at some distance from the existing line over about 5 km around the Thetford Mines mining area.
New right-of-way between Nantes and Frontenac
In the study area, Hydro-Québec’s network of high-voltage transmission lines ends at Mégantic substation. As there is no existing line that runs to the border, a new line corridor had to be developed for the southern part of the study area.
The main siting criteria that guided the development of this part of the line path are as follows:
- Follow lot boundaries as much as possible.
- Avoid densely populated areas.
- Avoid sugar bushes, wetlands and known wildlife habitats.
- Preferably locate the line within the landscape and away from summits, where the line would be visible.
This 23-km stretch of the line route runs through the municipalities of Nantes, Sainte-Cécile-de-Whitton and Frontenac to the crossing point east of the ZEC Louise-Gosford.
The proposed line route crosses these municipalities:
|Saint-Adrien-d’Irlande (M)||3.6 km|
|Thetford Mines (V)||11.3 km|
|Saint-Joseph-de-Coleraine (M)||14.7 km|
|Disraeli (P)||6.8 km|
|Sainte-Praxède (P)||3.4 km|
|Total: 39.8 km|
|Stratford (CT)||9.9 km|
|Stornoway (M)||14.8 km|
|Saint-Romain (M)||0.8 km|
|Nantes (M)||16.1 km|
|Sainte-Cécile-de-Whitton (M)||5.5 km|
|Frontenac (M)||16.3 km|
|Total: 63,4 km|