Québec boasts some of the lowest and most stable electricity rates in North America.
Choose Québec and plug into:
- A rate as low as US 2.48¢/kWh, with no hidden fees
- Super stable rates - and a long history to prove it
- 99.9% renewable energy: join the clean energy revolution
- Improved PUE with our energy efficiency programs and cold climate
- Important financial support and incentives from the Québec government
Electricity rates so low, they make you look twice
In Québec, we offer you a rate as low as US 2.48¢/kWh, transmission and distribution included. Yes, you read that right.Looks interesting? Let’s talk!
Comparative index of electricity prices
Rates and options
Our extremely low, stable rates give your business a competitive edge and boost your bottom line. A range of rates and pricing options are available, tailored to your usage:
- Business customer rates (LG and M)
- Additional rate option: Economic Development Rate (LG and M) for a reduction of up to 20% until 2027:2
The Economic Development Rate (EDR), which ends in 2027, offers up to 20% off rate LG or rate M. It includes a gradual transition to undiscounted rate (LG or M) over three years, starting in 2024. So the sooner you sign up, the more you save.
|Large-power rate + DRP3||3.09||2.48|
- Exchange rate: C$1 = US$0.80, as at July 28, 2017.↩
- Rate LG (large power) effective April 1, 2017 (transmission and distribution included) for 120-kV supply with 95% load factor; includes Economic Development Rate reduction of 20%, followed by gradual transition to undiscounted Rate LG over three years before the reduction expires in 2027.↩
- Additional credits for the total suppression of winter power demand under the Demand Response program. ↩
Our Demand Response program encourages businesses to reduce their power demand during Hydro-Québec’s peak winter periods.
By participating, you get financial assistance from Hydro-Québec, and we get to meet our customers’ power needs. Win-win!
Electricity pricing: Stability you can count on
Hydro-Québec customers enjoy a solid history of rate stability, with the lowest inflation rate of any type of energy:
- The average annual rate increase for the last 20 years is 1.4%
- Hydro-Québec is required by law to keep increases at or below the rate of inflation until 2020
- Because Hydro-Québec’s electricity is 99.9% produced from water and wind, our rates are not subject to the volatility of oil and gas prices
It’s a low-cost option you can count on for the future. See for yourself!
Price stability you can see
Operating costs that make business sense
Of these eight potential North American data center locations, Montréal boasts the lowest property costs, the lowest utility costs, and the second-lowest labor costs. At US$2.19 million a year, it enjoys the lowest overall operating costs: 28% lower than the average of US$3.11 million (source of data: Financial Times).
As you know, the lower you keep these numbers, the more hard-earned revenue stays in your business.
It’s a no brainer.
Total annual operating costs overview
Say so long to REC reliance with 99.9% clean energy
Paying one of the lowest energy rates in North America gives your business an instant advantage. And with 99.9% of our electricity generated mainly using water and wind, the need to compensate for GHG emissions with Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) becomes a thing of the past—and that makes you a leader for the future.
Sound too good to be true? Yeah, we get that a lot!
PUE: Keeping the ratio low
When it comes to energy usage, low numbers make everyone happy. Some of Hydro-Québec’s customers have a power usage effectiveness (PUE) ratio of 1.1. What’s your number?
Energy efficiency: we’ve got it down
We excel at energy efficiency. We’ll help you lower your building’s energy consumption and lower your PUE ratio.
We offer a grant to help you improve your facility’s energy and cost efficiency, PUE and eco-friendliness. The grant for eligible annual electricity represents up to US$0.13/kWh in savings for new businesses, and US$0.14/kWh for existing businesses.
Allow us to show you around our energy efficiency offers that have been specially adapted for data centers.
Nobody keeps their cool like Québec
Thanks to its favorable location in the north, Québec enjoys a climate that supports the optimal use of cooling systems, which reduces operating costs. Because it’s frequently cold outside, free water-cooling is possible for more than 60% of the year.
Water-side free cooling is possible for more than 60% of the year.
|City||Québec||Montréal||Quincy (WA)||New York (NY)||Lenoir (NC)||Ashburn (VA)||San José (CA)||Dallas (TX)||Jacksonville (FL)|
|Average annual temperature (°F)||39.2||44.2||50.0||53.6||57.2||57.2||59.0||64.4||68.0|