With more than 40 major data centers already calling it home, Québec is a strategic location for the Americas. In addition to that classic Canadian friendliness we’re famous for, companies set up shop here to enjoy:
Build on solid ground
Québec enjoys a stable political and environmental climate. And when it comes to privacy laws, there is a particular emphasis on those under both federal and provincial legislation.
- Canada ranks among the top 10 countries in terms of democracy (World Audit, 2016).
- It is protected from most natural disasters, with low risks of lightning strikes, flooding and forest fires.
- Québec’s constitutional and legislative framework meets the strictest requirements in terms of privacy and the protection of personal information. Any company or person established in Canada enjoys protection under Canadian law.
Sound exactly like the safe haven your data center needs? We thought so.
We connect you to more than just the grid
Hydro-Québec introduces you to strong, reputable partners who will work with you to see your project through from start to finish. Think financial partners like Investissement Québec, MESI (Québec department of economy, science and innovation), Revenu Québec, Caisse de dépôt et de placement du Québec (Québec pension fund) and the Québec department of finance, as well as active business community partners like Montréal International, Québec International and chambers of commerce.
We help you find the savings
In addition to Hydro-Québec’s low rates and options to help you save, the Québec government is one of the most proactive in the world when it comes to business support.
Discover how fine your bottom line can look
Make Québec your data center’s home base and plug into a host of potential benefits:*
- A 15-year tax holiday equivalent to up to 15% of invested capital, for investments of over C$100 million
- Quick depreciation for IT equipment
- A full VAT (sales and use taxes) refund on all equipment purchases, including servers and cooling equipment
- Property taxes that are payable only on the building and not on its contents
- Large companies will be entitled to a refund of the Québec sales tax (QST) on the purchase of electricity (25% in 2018, 50% in 2019, 75% in 2020 and 100% as of 2021)
- A tax credit equal to 30% of eligible salaries paid by your company
- A loan or loan guarantee for up to 10 years, as well as additional financial assistance with the ESSOR program (jointly administered by Investissement Québec and MESI, the Québec department for the economy, science and innovation, in French only)
Wait! There’s more...
In Québec you’ll find considerable tax incentives that support the development of a value-added ecosystem for data centers:
- Tax credit for international financial centers, which represents 24% of salaries up to C$16,000
- E-Business Development Credit (EBRD), which provides a 24% credit up to a maximum of $20,000, plus a 6% non-refundable tax credit for IT companies (maximum $5,000)
- A considerable tax credit for major digital transformation projects, which represents 24% of salaries up to C$20,000 per year per employee
* Certain eligibility requirements apply and programs are subject to change. Contact us!