Save electricity without spending a cent
No need to spend big to save big!
To save electricity, all you have to do is change a few habits. Pick up some tips to help you lower your electricity bill. Just think about it a little.
Tips and how-tos
- Find air leaks and eliminate them by caulking and weatherstripping any drafty windows and patio doors.
- During the cold season, reduce the temperature setting of your thermostat by just one degree Celsius: you could save 5% to 7% on your annual heating costs.
- Take shorter showers.
- Use water- and energy-saving products.
- Use your dishwasher efficiently: don’t run it unless it’s full.
- Use your washer and your dryer efficiently: do big loads, wash in cold water and choose the right cycle.
- Repair leaky pipes and faucets.
- Keep the temperature of your hot water tank set at 60°C to prevent scale buildup and the growth of bacteria.
- Unplug electronics, especially when you go on vacation, to avoid drawing phantom power (vampire power).
- Turn off your electronics—TV, computer and high-fi amp—as soon as you stop using them. They draw power, even on standby.
- Turn off the lights as you leave the room.