Moving: an opportunity to save
Save energy and money!
You did it! You’ve finally found a new place to live. You’ve promised yourself to enjoy it and get into better habits. Whether you rent or own, it pays to make energy-efficient choices.
Efficiently manage your electricity use
Discover the Energy Performance Indicator
The energy performance indicator will help you better understand your electricity use and find ways to reduce it. You’ll be able to consult your consumption analysis from your mobile devices or computer any time you like. This user‑friendly information about your electricity use will help you adopt energy‑efficient habits.
It’s simple to save in winter
Our dynamic rate offerings and the Hilo smart home service can optimize a home’s consumption when electricity demand is high and lead to savings.
Choose the solution that works best for you based on everyday actions that can help you save. Are you more DIY or done for you?
Small actions can make you energy wise
Whether you rent or own, here are a few tips and tricks to save energy.
Installation de thermostats électroniques
Consommation responsable d'eau
Use water wisely. Water heating makes up an important share of your electricity bill, so be sure to repair any leaky faucets.
Installation d'ampoules écoénergétiques
Replace incandescent and halogen bulbs with LED bulbs. They use an average of 70 to 90% less energy than other options and last about 15,000 hours. A typical household has about 40 lightbulbs, so just imagine the potential savings!
Achat d'électroménagers écoénergétiques
Need new appliances, electronics or electrical devices? Look for ENERGY STAR® certified models they’re the most efficient in their categories.
Help with your energy-efficient renovations
Want to save even more energy? Try some of these improvements to your property to reduce your energy consumption.
- Hydro-Québec offers a lot of incentives to help with your green projects, including the installation of an efficient heat pump or central heating electric thermal storage system. Promotions and products are also available to help you save on your renovations. They make perfect sense!
- Apply caulking to your doors and windows—up to 25% of your home’s heating may be escaping through air leaks. If you’re replacing your windows, hire a specialist to install ENERGY STAR® certified windows. You could save up to 10% on heating costs year after year.
- Some insurance companies don’t cover damage caused by a water heater more than 10 years old. To find out when yours was manufactured, check the nameplate. If it’s time to replace it, opt for a water heater with ECOPEAK® technology and get a $100 instant rebate.
- If there’s a pool or hot tub in your new backyard, it could account for up to 70% of your summer electricity bill. Energy efficient products and tips could help you save.
Make budgeting easier
Make and stick to your budget much more easily by using the two services below.
- Before you move, estimate the electricity consumption at your new address. You’ll get a better idea of what to expect so you can plan your monthly budget accordingly.
- The Equalized Payments Plan (EPP) spreads your annual electricity cost over 12 equal monthly installments, so you always pay the same amount, winter and summer alike. Say goodbye to hefty winter bills and make budgeting easier!
Follow these tips to optimize your energy consumption and enjoy your new home!