Technology and Business Demonstration
Want to innovate and help your company thrive? We can help!
Hydro-Québec wants to spur technological and business development by getting involved in the critical steps. We want to stimulate interventions downstream of research and development (R&D) and upstream of commercialization.
We offer financial assistance to customers who want to test the technical or commercial viability of innovative energy-saving or power demand optimization measures.
Your project must propose measures to acquire technological and business data and demonstrate the benefits and business relevance of these measures.
The proposed technologies and strategies must offer:
- An interesting market potential for Québec
- See your project become profitable more quickly.
- Help make the company more competitive.
- Become recognized as an innovative firm.
- In some cases, receive technical support from Hydro-Québec.
- Based on the nature of the project:
- Enjoy long-term electricity savings
- Optimize power demand management
total eligible cost, up to a ceiling of $500,000
Take part in the program
Refer to the Participant’s Guide for more information about the eligibility requirements and how to submit a request.
Participant's Guide [PDF 532 Ko – in French only]
Have questions and would like to talk to someone about your project? Contact one of our experts
Project outline [PDF 1,2 Mo – in French only].
IMPORTANT: Do you want to fill out this interactive PDF form on your screen?
To do so, you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) installed on your computer.
- Save the PDF form on your computer.
- Go to where you saved the PDF form on your computer and open it using Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Form — Supporting document for developing a technology and business demonstration project [PDF 818 Ko – in French only]
- Sample contract project [PDF 350 Ko – in French only]
Technological and business demonstration project evaluation criteria
The project review committee assesses the eligibility of all projects based on the following criteria, which are also used to determine the amount of financial assistance that is granted.
Based on the project objectives, these elements will be considered:
- actual gains in energy efficiency attributable to the proposed measure, the unit gain of the intervention and the service life of the measure
- the impact on demand-side management in peak periods as compared to standard or current technologies
- equipment electrification
Potential market penetration in Québec
The participant must demonstrate the project’s:
- deployment potential in Québec
- deployment timeline (in months or years)
- profitability for target customers
Innovation and originality
This criterion is used to determine:
- the innovative aspect of the technology in Québec
- the originality and performance of the business approach based on the project objectives
Qualifications and contribution of the applicant, customer or project team members
Project-related experience and the qualifications of the applicant, project team, team leader and business partners constitute an important evaluation criterion.
The committee will consider the significance and contributions of the project’s business and financial partners, as well as the effectiveness of the organizational structure in ensuring the project’s success.
Quality of the application and relevance of the reference materials
The clarity and thoroughness of the proposal (including technical data sheets in the case of technology demonstration projects and all reference documents) are taken into account in the review process.
Technology and Business Demonstration (TBD) projects must explore proven, yet little-known, technologies whose viability in Québec has yet to be established. The project must focus on at least one of the following areas:
- Use of a new technology
- The new application or improvement of an existing technology
- Adoption of an innovative business strategy
Electricity generation or self-generation projects are not eligible.
Note: Approved TBD demonstration projects may not be submitted for another Hydro-Québec energy efficiency program.
- Projects already submitted or accepted under any of Hydro-Québec’s energy efficiency programs
- Projects whose technology is at the R&D stage
- R&D or business start-up projects
- Projects aiming solely to advertise, promote or market a project or technology
Have an energy efficiency project and want to find the right program for you?
How can we help you?
Have any questions? Call or email us.
Stay informed on our energy efficiency programs and our demand response offers.