If you are a Rate L customer and can exercise some load-shaving capability at Hydro‑Québec’s request, these options offer a great opportunity for you to save money on your winter electricity bill.
With these interruptible electricity options for Rate L customers, Hydro‑Québec offers you credits in exchange for curtailing your electricity consumption at its request.
These options were developed to help balance electricity supply and demand in Québec. By limiting your power consumption during the periods requested by Hydro-Québec, you contribute to a wiser use of our collective resources. In return, Hydro‑Québec pays you the equivalent of what it spends when it buys power on open markets.
You must submit your request to Hydro‑Québec, indicating your proposed interruptible power, before October 1.
Your interruptible power must be at least 3,000 kW, or 20% of the maximum contract power over the last 12 consumption periods ending at the end of the consumption period that precedes October 1.
Conditions applicable to interruptions
|Conditions||Option I||Option II|
|Advance notice – Weekdays||2 hours||2 hours|
|Advance notice – Weekends||15:30 the preceding day||15:30 the preceding day|
|Maximum number of interruptions per day||2||1|
|Minimum interval between 2 interruptions in the same day||4 hours||16 hours|
|Maximum number of interruptions per winter period||20||10|
|Duration of an interruption||4–5 hours||4–5 hours|
|Maximum duration of interruptions per winter period||100 hours||50 hours|
- $13.169 per kilowatt of effective interruptible power.
- 20.260¢ per kilowatthour of effective hourly interruptible power for each of the first 20 interruption hours;
- 25.325¢ per kilowatthour of effective hourly interruptible power for each hour between the 21st and the 40th interruption hours inclusive; and
- 30.390¢ per kilowatthour of effective hourly interruptible power for each of the 60 subsequent interruption hours.
- $6.585 per kilowatt of effective interruptible power.
- 20.260¢ per kilowatthour of effective hourly interruptible power for each interruption hour.
For more information
If you have any questions about these rate options, contact your commercial officer or designated agent. You can also reach our Business customer services by phone at 1 800 463‑9900 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This information has been simplified. For more details about the Interruptible Electricity Options for Rate L customers, consult the following sections of the Electricity Rates:
- Rate L customers: Section 2 of Chapter 6 of the Electricity Rates [PDF 4.83 MB]
- Customers with the Interruptible Electricity Option with advance notice: Section 5 of Chapter 6 of the Electricity Rates [PDF 4.83 MB]
Period from December 1 through March 31 of the next year, inclusive.
Effective interruptible power
An estimate, expressed in kilowatts, of the interruptible power that is on average curtailed by the customer at Hydro-Québec’s request.
Effective hourly interruptible power
For each interruption hour, the difference between:
- the product of the maximum power and the contribution coefficient for the consumption period in question; and
- the average hourly power.
Minimum demand that a large-power industrial rate customer (Rate L) agrees to pay and that Hydro-Québec must be ready to supply at any time in response to the customer’s demand.